Sunday, June 13, 2010

Me, me, me

Well I apologize for being such a bad blogger. I'm finding that this particular blog is more like an online diary/goalsetting/vetting resource than the traditional blog.
Oh well.
We are ensconced in my favorite month, finally. Warmth. Growth. Kids home from school (2 out of three ain't bad). The potatger is in. Lots of unexpected veggies cropping up due to compost/reseeding. My peonies and first round of Mme.Issac Periere roses were glorious.
My head is on straight regarding work. I've been slaving (yes that is the correct lingo) for the past several years, attempting to make a new career profitable and supplement with part time work, (Jake has too, he's working like a madman). I am seeing the light at the end of that tunnel. Some balance between work and life, and some earning power. Jake and I have been talking/pondering our 8 year goal path - in that time, God willing, all three of our children will be college grads and we'll be total empty nesters. In 4 years we'll be semi-empty, I guess. This is a good timeline/way to look at the future for us.
I've had time to get back into the music scene, working on a couple of projects right now. It's exhilarating to be back working at that passion.

Our plan, in a nutshell: keep the income as low as possible (easy!) - we have bright kids and they will all qualify for college financial aid based on our current/past several years income. Build my primary business. Freelance/under the radar income (pet sitting, music gigs, handyman (Jake)) etc. Optimize our rental property income.

In 8 years our primary residence will also be paid off. We will probably move to a condo downtown that we own (and currently rent out) at that point and sell or rent this house. We loved city living and the condo is a loft style with exposed brick walls, 20 ft ceilings, hardwood floors, rooftop garden - that we lived in as newlyweds. Simply love the space. We could then travel, use the condo as a home base to recharge, take care of our rental properties etc.
sounds good to me.....
xo,
La

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Sounds great.
I keep trying to talk my husband into moving to a loft or condo downtown when the kids are grown -- it's my dream.

la said...

Thanks Kristi, I finally feel some peace surrounding our future. La