Friday, September 4, 2015

SUNDAY IN ROME - DAY 3

Cynthia is off today and suggests a leisurely shopping visit to the other side of the Tiber river to Trastevere. Rome is bisected by the Tiber and this neighborhood is less frequented by tourists and C is a regular at the flea market - the linen lady yells "Mama" to her as we approach. I love feeling less a tourist and hanging with C certainly helps! Cynthia and I start to dig thru the linens: jackets, table runners, nightgowns and more (rugs, not linen of course) - we fill a trash bag each - I got a sleeveless top that I've worn constantly this summer, some linen jackets and old pinafore-looking aprons to use as night gowns;  the proprietress even throws in some small table runners gratis. At the next stall I find a huge green stoned ring - quite the statement piece - and I get complements on it always. It never turned my finger green (my jeweler says its aluminum) and it's just the best souvenir ever - 20 euros and I love it! I'm posting a picture of it on my hand for this post.

We head to a neighborhood resto for lunch: caprese salad, artichokes and vegetable pizza. Wine, of course and we take our delicious time - the resto even closed for a few hours - fiesta- but they told us to take our time and finish at our leisure. So civilized.

Back at Cynthia's condo Clementine and Will are waiting for us. We hang out and talk about the day and drink lemoncello and pick at small appetizers (mostly so the kids can eat!). Jake and I walk Clementine back to her hotel then stroll back to C's condo for a sound night's sleep.

Arrivederci Baby!

No comments: