Friday, October 30, 2015

Organizational Update - Rituals and Routines

I am good at stuff like this: making lists.
But routines and rituals have come up (I do adore Tonya Leigh at tonyaleigh.com - she's a great coach) and I've had similar success with routine - there are so many ways I can see this. But, I have also had difficulties defining and sticking with other routines that have not "clicked".
As I've peudo studied this issue I've noticed in my life women who obviously embrace organization and routine. I know three of them both quite well and will keep them in mind as I generalize.

#1 - They always look good. Cool clothes and accessories. Bright, clean smiles. They've been the same weight for all the kazillion years I've known them. Obviously take care with: dental and medical health, grooming, meditation and movement.
#2 - Clean, clean homes.  Smooth, clean wood floors; sleek but homey rooms; Beethoven (or Bob Dylan) on the sound system; candles and flowers; food, family; nice exterior yard space; big fluffy white towels that stay white (ok, I'm getting fanciful now :) !!
#3 - Great rapport with their children. And their partners. Loyal, supportive and kind. Realistic and generous.
#4 - Lots of friends and family. They can and do, entertain fairly often. This ranges from cocktails on the deck to dinner parties.
#5 - A life apart from #'s  2,3 and 4 above. Other work: writing, business, broadcasting....jobs, in these cases, that are very different for each woman, but each makes it work for her life: one sequesters herself to write, rarely getting dressed for a few weeks while she chases her own deadline - works for her. Another naps in the early afternoon cause she works a 5 am shift at the TV station. The third works from 10 am to 6 pm, Monday thru Thurs. They like what they do and take pride in their professions.
#6 - They go places! They will meet you for lunch or dinner or drinks or theater. If you call them they
have plans and ideas on what is up. They are fun and informed - someone listens to NPR. :)  LOL or reads lots of the latest books and sees film sometimes too. Knows what is happening in downtown Cleveland right now - clubs, restaurants, what's being done for the Republican National Convention next summer etc.


So Paris on the Cuyahoga likes to hang out with these women and types like them. I can tell you they are all highly organized, ritualized and seem to be wringing life out for maximum pleasure: in other words Routines and Rituals are good things - they free you up for the lazy, or sumptuous or creative moment you would have MISSED without them.
Here are some ideas I either use or have noticed.

Morning Routine:
24 oz lemon or vinegar water (room temp)
make coffee and put in thermos, while it brews: floss, brush and put on a facial treatment: either a lotion or tanner or mask.
Now I wait at least 45 minutes before I drink or eat (notice coffee is in thermos, only water now!!) while I : sweep kitchen floor and/or deck; pick up the house; walk Scout in the park (almost everyday for 25 minutes).
Return from park and indulge in cafe au lait with 2 large slices of toast and butter/jam or cheese/tomato. Read the NYT's Sunday which we keep all week, or whatever is in my read bag. The local news: paper, magazines etc are good to breakfast with as well.
Write. This one is, perhaps, going to benefit this blog. It is today!!
Then a mixture of playing keyboards, meditate (20 minutes), stretch, swim (half hour, once a week)
- I also must work for a few hours in the afternoon (this involves driving and/or computer so I take care to stretch and have started using a standing desk to alternate with my regular spot).
I have been a happy follower of the above routine for about 5 months. My writing (this blog included - do you want more of it??) and my keyboard playing have greatly benefited. Scout looks trim. So I endorse routine and intend to continue to implement it into my life.
That said.
Late Afternoon:
I am, honestly, working on this one. the Evening Routine is almost NEVER done in my house, so I am hitting it head on by starting in the late afternoon. Brilliant I know.
Here's the obstacle to an Evening Routine: I have a gig 2 - 3 nights a week.
www.the-poptarts.com
It's always been the hurdle to a routine as sometimes half the week it's gotta be different. So.
Here's what I've got for now.
Meditate and/or nap. I have a great 20 minute youtube meditation I use, sometimes I do a facial mask.
Set up water in vaporizer - I run one every night - good for voice and skin. Stretch. Tea time: Depends on if I know I'll eat at the gig, but I will have tea or coffee and a snack. If there is a gig I'll clean up my desk, check my calendar for the next day, do a bit of work perhaps and gather my clothes for the night. I experimented with wiping off my makeup in the car on the way home from gigs - I like the disposable cloths and use them often when traveling. I may go back to it, I will shower, hang up my stuff, eat something (try to keep it small)!!, watch Netflix or.....
On nights that I don't gig:
Follow the above but
Read, organize, keyboards, happy hour, prepare dinner at home, write, soak in the tub instead of
working.
Routines and Rituals do intrigue me and there is more to explore:  beyond the daily routines listed above I'd like to do weekly, semi monthly, monthly, bi monthly, quarterly, yearly: I know the women I admire do have lots of organizational skills.    And the Rituals deserve their own post.
Bisous,
La





No comments: