Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Secret: How to Live Beyond Your Means

A book espoused long ago by some Chics was written by Margery Wilson. How to Live Beyond Your Means is her friendly, but stern, manifesto to 'having it all'. I have a copy, the copyright is 1945, the wording is touchingly old school. I thought maybe my daughters would read some of it (what was I thinking?) and when it sat untouched on the dining table, I reached for it. I had a bit of a shock as I realized that this was almost verbatim The Secret - circa 2006 or so via
Rhonda Byrnes et all. The first time around with Wilson's book I had not yet read Byrne's. Seems the Law of Attraction has been around, indeed. I am intrigued by the promise of the secret, and convinced that to smile and expect goodness is just the best way to live anyway. Is there any French connection to this? I don't know, but is seems to me that the Gallic shrug and attitude could be construed as more on the side of pessimism. Any luck employing The Secrect? Do share!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure what to call it, but I have some uncanny luck sometimes. I like to think it comes from being so optimistic. I have a post tomorrow that somewhat touches on this because some of that "luck" happened yesterday.
Have a great weekend!
K