Sunday, June 7, 2009

Your Money or your Life

Stephanie at Bonjour Madame has a recent post on 'your money or your life' which is
resonating with me. She uses the example of the movie A Good Year. Of course if any of us were in the situation where we could choose to inherit a vineyard I don't think there'd be much question!
I don't really care for the phrase 'in this economy' but there it is. 'In this economy' if you are struggling with work that you don't enjoy or doesn't reward you amply in some way, it fells peevish to complain: what about all those without any work at all? Despite 'the economy' - or any other factors - I believe it is
important to be rewarded properly for your work and to do something that you at least enjoy (if not love).
I've read/heard that many of the French (and perhaps other Europeans) with great social benefits and vacations mandated and a built in cultural more that everyone should enjoy life (or at least have the means via good food, wine, family/vacation time etc) don't care as much about loving their job. They look at work as a means to live. It feels as tho, maybe because we don't have the same political/social set up, Americans don't have that luxury.
Personally I am in that conundrum right now as well, Madame. I have spent the past 3 years learning a (new) profession. Now that I am working (for a management company) the work seems endless. I don't even want to calculate my hourly wage. With 3 teenagers to support I obviously have to maintain an income. The decision I have made is to team up with a wonderful friend who is also an appraiser. We are meeting this week to start the ball rolling on opening our own company. As women we both value our family time as much as our work and don't see this as a problem - both should get their proper due. I'd been avoiding working for myself because of the added work: finding clients, billing, taxes etc. I've changed my view - we are going to create an income stream OUR WAY - with balance, attention to the important details, great service and time left over for living.
I'd love to hear how others are coping with this.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

I know it is scary, but I would encourage you to do it! My dh took the plunge last summer and it has been very scary and yet very rewarding. We spend so much of our lives working that it is crucial to enjoy what we do. Work to Live instead of Live to Work, right? Good luck. I look forward to hearing more about it. I bet there are a lot of resources out there for women entrepreneurs
Kristi

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you posted this. It is something that has been on my mind for a long time. I think every job has it's ups and downs and nothing is perfect, but there are definitely more suitable jobs that can align with what you are passionate about.

I have been trying to play mind games by adjusting my attitude towards my work and keep reminding myself that I work to live. I feel like i should be able to endure the time I spend there and all of the extreme stress that comes with that and turn it off when I'm not at work. Well, that works for a time but it always comes back to getting overwhelmed by stress and once again realizing that I really dislike what I do. But then, I'm paid nicely for it and hence the dilema.

It paid for my trip to Paris, and some nice things here and there. But I would give it all up to do something less stressful with less pay, or just stay at home and be a housewife for a while. My husband's job is extremely busy too and with both of us running on empty, our down time suffers as it is loaded with chores and cramming everything else in within a few hours in the evening.

Plus, one other thing...I work in a male dominated field and it has taken it's toll on me feeling feminine and embracing that side of me. I miss it.

Again, thanks for posting this, glad I'm not alone!
-Stephanie

Tish Jett said...

Of course I found you on Stephanie's wonderful blog.

I think changing our lives resonates so strongly with us. I can't tell you how many women I know who long to do so, but are afraid for one reason or another.

Everyone's circumstances are different, but I hope you can find a way to follow your heart's desire.

Do you live in Cleveland? (My daughter was born there on one of the days the Cuyahoga was on fire.)

Tish Jett said...

Of course I found you on Stephanie's wonderful blog.

I think changing our lives resonates so strongly with us. I can't tell you how many women I know who long to do so, but are afraid for one reason or another.

Everyone's circumstances are different, but I hope you can find a way to follow your heart's desire.

Do you live in Cleveland? (My daughter was born there on one of the days the Cuyahoga was on fire.)

la said...

Kristi, Stephanie and Tish, thanks for listening and responding so kindly. I was pretty sure after reading Stephanie's post on the matter that this really touches a lot of women. Stephanie I too tell myself to let it go, that I should be happy to have the job, try to talk myself over it etc....but never feel that the work day is ended. I really hope I can change the focus of my work to make it truly more satisfying and "boxed" -so when I'm not working my mind stops working as well.
Tish, I am in Cleveland, but didn't live here in the burning river era (grew up in the Maryland suburbs of DC). My blog is an attempt to remind myself how I want to live - in spirit - since I can't be in Paris.