Saturday, December 22, 2007

Holiday baking and composure

This time of year I visit several markets to pick up items necessary for some Christmas tradtional treat or another. Chicken livers for the "pink meat" soup dumplings. Frozen roll dough for the pecan rolls. 3 1.5 lb lobsters for bisque and risotto. Port Salut for snacking - a subsititute for Cowgirl Creamery Mt Tam triple cream cheese which is my new to die for desire. Sold out. Veuve Cliquot and that. Yes, yes, YES!!
I have to call Fred and get the names of the three cheeses at his holiday soiree. Wonderful night with fresh figs, creamy goat, purple grapes and bleu/roquefort, crumbly pecorino(?) with honey.... A very cheesy christmas to you, too.
I maintain a high level of walking and swimming this time of year so I may indulge. The hot chocolate is yummier after a brisk hike with the dogs. Dog walking is such a no brainer! They love it and thrive and you burn daily fat, clear your mind and thrive too.The pool is trickier but I get the schedule and do what I can. 40 minutes of crunches/thigh exercises/yoga/pilates 2x a week, daily streches and daily walk and house cleaning exercise. Yard work! It's built in to my life. I bike for many errands. I always make a route when going out so I don't backtrack. I park at the end of the lot - if I drive at all. Lots of water to drink. I love warm drinks too this time of year: tea, coffee and hot chocolate.
Looking forward to making my tradional quiche, carmely pecan rolls and some new treats with the great looking lobster I got from Aldi. The sushi sampler from Trader Joe's was so tasty by the way....great light, satisfying meal. Baked our sugar cookies today - lovely, creamy stars, santa, trees etc with brown edges waiting for tomorrow's icing assult....and maybe I'll make coconut meringues tomorrow too....if I think I can be a good girl with them in the house:)

No comments: