Thursday, April 30, 2009

SPRING WARDROBE

I have been trying to get thru my closets/drawers etc. Le printemps en Cleveland
is a wild affair. Wind, rain, sleet and possibly snow followed rapidement by sun and 80 odd degrees. It is not condusive to the seasonal switchover.
I am a layering non seasonal devotee of the silhouette. Which means I have attempted
to amass clothing that can be worn year round, even in a place with seasons. It does not absolve me of a seasonal look see, weeding out and setting up.

I prefer sleeveless or 3/4 length sleeve. Tunic length over a fitted leotard style top. Ankle length pant or knee length denim pencil skirt. Jeans, except white ones, go away till fall. A wonderful Lilly shift. Long scarf. Flat/mid sandal. Earrings, perhaps a necklace.
Short/mid natural looking nails (note that is looking, it requires time!), tousled mid length hair (layered to my chin). My silhouette is long and lean, never waist conscious!

In the winter it's dark boot cut jeans and boots and black/layers on top. Less color than my summer palate.

Now it is time to plow thru and choose only the best of the best from my closets!

This is frugal and wonderfully smart right now. I have ample reason to look for a few items and I have been dreadfully strict about any additions to my wardrobe, but am going to make it thru this spring and summer on what I have. At the most a pair of sandals if I can find the best. I saw Seiberling (?) sandals at Nordstrom and they look like what I want, but I looked at them intensely last spring and did not go for them, so they just aren't perfect and has that changed?
I don't want to add things just to add them. I want to distill my essence into about 20 great things that I can wear over and over, so retail therapy is wrong. I need a couturier. The chic and ease of a french inspired minimal/maximal wardrobe. So for now I will be as discerning with the offerings of my boudoir as I would could I choose from only the best! It is about quality afterall.
I am looking for classic summer pairings: white on white, nautical etc. And the best
outer layers - big shirts - for the transition and evenings/air conditioning. I have a great summer scarf for that job too. I may have to take a pair of ankle pants to the tailor, but they are worth it I think....

Good luck going thru your stuff too!

No comments: