Saturday, May 30, 2009

McDonalds Chic?

I am not much for fast food. Several years ago we watched Super Size Me together as a family and that was pretty much that. As a real estate appraiser I am on the road quite a bit and I stop at McDonalds occasionally to use the restroom and/or get a regular large coffee. About a year ago the Wall Street Journal (I believe) had a story that had professional coffee taste testers drink all the big coffee chains (such as Starbucks) versus fast food coffees. McD's came out number one. So I was validated on that one. Anyway, I NEVER get any food. Until yesterday. I was taking an
8 hour class for a license upgrade and on lunch break hit the McD's for a much needed caffeine fix. I noticed the fruit and walnut salad (at $2.15) and decided to
order one. I had packed a sandwich, but the tedium of the morning portion of the class somehow made me want to reward myself and so for 2 bucks I went for it. I took my impromptu lunch to a sunny, somewhat secluded corner of the school parking lot and took inventory. It was really not bad! Several slices of apple and some grapes, a small scoop of vanilla yogurt and a portion of candied walnuts. The yogurt was sweeter than I like, but overall I'd get it again if I was stuck in a situation and wanted a quick, healthyish meal. It's packed really well 'to go' - a shrink wrap cover over the container and it's packaged with a knife and fork which promotes using them and, as we know, is de rigeur for eating a la francaise. So maybe it is chic? The nutrition facts on line say it's a bit high in sugar, but also in vitamin C and low in sodium and cholestrol.
Bonus!! My recipe for sugared pecans.

SUGARED PECANS

1 pound of pecan halves, toss them in:

1 egg white, beaten just till frothy (and with a tablespoon of cold water added).

Scoop out pecans (use a slotted spoon) and toss in a bowl of combined:

1/2 C Sugar
1/2 tea.Cinnamon
1/4 tea Salt.

Place on greased cookie sheet and bake for one hour at 225 degrees, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up and separate them every 15 minutes.

These are heaven. Lovely as a nibble with aperitiv, as a dessert or snack with yogurt. As a salad topping. Nicely packaged as a favor or gift at the holiday. And you can experiment with the nut used and the spices. Try and make a savory version using your favorite spice.
xo,
La

No comments: