Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Ma vie part five

So college at O.U. I studied Radio-TV and did very well in my classes. I was a booth announcer for WOUB-TV. Had my first serious boyfriend In other words, one who wanted me to meet his family for instance. Senior year five of us girlfriends rented a house on Mill St.
Graduated and moved to Columbus for the summer, at least, and stayed in my sister's empty house at OSU (she and her housemates were all back home for the summer). Got a job selling air time for a radio station north of the city and spent a lot of time enjoying great lunches at a place that gave us trade for spots (food for commercials). Didn't much like selling air time and didn't apply myself to it at all. Moved into an apartment in German Village with a gal who had been a housemate of my sisters. Started to wait tables at a nice place and met Mo, another waitress, who would eventually introduce me to her gang of friends and we were a tribe for several years. These friends lived in CLE, but had also gone to OU - they were a year older than me and in the two years I was there we had never met. Soon I left Columbus moved home to CLE and studied for, and got, my third class radiotelephone license - an anachronistic license that allowed me to work in the engineering department of a tv station, which is what I proceeded to do. Dark days in 'master control' surrounded by mostly older, rather geeky, really smart men. Literally dark as the lighting was kept dim so you could read all the lighted meters etc. Became friends with two of the long time CLE air personalities of an earlier era: Barnaby and Super Host.  Lin Sheldon and Marty Sullivan. Met my future husband working there. J and I dated, secretly, for a few years because I didn't want it to impact my perceived professionalism. He left there before I did and began to work his family business as he does to this day. I really took notice of him when he gave me grief about my complaining re: some vacation mixup. He was part time and got no vacation. I asked him to go with me to a band audition (all guys, sketchy area) and he did. Then he asked me to go see The Waitresses at the Agora and that was that.  I was fired from that job, they started up a news operation and cut many positions thru out the station to fund it. In retrospect it was a great thing - many of my  peers are still working there! 40 years. I'd die of boredom.
So I did some waitressing, got a job at a community college in the radio/tv lab and finally got wind of a perfect gig for me: traffic reporter. An engineer at Clockwerke Recording Studios (our band The Leisure Set was recording there) said 'you'd be great on air, great voice!' so I asked him what a traffic reporter was (ha! I was in bands and never got up early enough to hear a traffic report on the radio), he gave me the name of  Baron Aviation - a husband and wife team of pilots who flew and reported on area stations. Seriously, about one week later I was doing reports on the big am station WWWE and was a 'natural'.
And that's the traffic,
L

No comments: