Tuesday, May 14, 2019

My Life part four

In high school, as mentioned, I was a lifeguard after senior year. Went to Miami (Ohio) and met a life long friend Laurie, we do girl's night to this day - about once a week! Had some good times there although it really wasn't for me. I enjoyed political science class. Smoking pot and listening to the Grateful Dead (that was the influence of Karen from NY!) or smoking pot and going to art class - and if I'm at all talented in drawing I've kept that talent repressed all my life!! Awful drawings/paintings. I worked at the library - LOVED it. Took out way too many books - I saw so many as I checked them out or checked them back in and I left, always, with a stack. Became friends with Marta - she was a professors foreign (German??) wife who also worked at King Library. She chewed a cigarette holder constantly between bright red lips which contrasted nicely with her raven hair. Glamorous in a euro trash way - I adored her. Wish I remembered more about her. I 'dated' a few guys, nothing serious. Went to the Kentucky Derby sophomore year with a casual friend who knew someone who's parents were away but had a house in Louisville where we could crash. She had a car so we went. I don't believe we ever saw an actual horse - but if you've been to the Derby in the cheap (infield) seats you know that's not the place to watch the race, it is good people watching tho! I spent the summers working in Ocean City Md. I was a waitress, first at Hall's Coffee Shop then at the iconic Phillips Crab House. Joe and Marie Hall had nine tables when I worked for them and they lived with 3 kids above the shop, right in downtown OC. He cooked. Taught me to add water -not milk! - to eggs before a scramble. Now they have a huge restaurant further up the strip, or at least they did about 30 years ago when I made a trip there with family. Marie seemed to remember me - one of her 'original' girls. Someday I'll go back. I learned to drive a stick shift there so you know this was long ago - the traffic was light enough to learn in. Moved on up to Phillips where my sister K also got a job. We were Denny and Jeff - you had to make up a name if there was already a waitress with your real name. They served us family breakfast early in the resto even tho they didn't serve customers until dinner. Lines around the block were common. Big sheets of white butcher paper on the table, you wrote your 'name' on it when you approached a new table and introduced yourself. Gradually the table became a mess of crab shells and butter  to be rolled up and tossed out. We had fun and made some friends there but no one we still remember.

At some point I decided to transfer from Miami to Ohio U. I was a radio tv major and the school of communications was considered excellent at OU, plus it was a party school. Win. So for junior - senior years that's what I did. Also, my buddy from high school/new jersey that I met in the girl's room attended OU, as did her brother, so I had ready made friends there.
party on dude,
La

No comments: