Thursday, May 2, 2019

Paris in Cleveland

Bonjour,
Today I'll write a bit about places/things in CLE that could be remotely considered to be somewhat French/Parisian.    I'm writing at my desk with my french press coffee and small white cup and saucer with 'la Madeleine'  and some red and blue stripes around the rim. This refers to the famous Proustian cookie but I am generally sans cookie. Last evening I met with Laurie at a farm to table resto in Gordon Square. I feel Spice is rather Euro in it's concept and approach. The resto has it's own farm and locally sources most of the food they prepare. We sipped - I had sparkling white wine and picked at chicken liver pate followed by fish and chips. Both delish.   Another place in the CLE is Le Petit Triangle - a creperie. Coincidentally Jake and I thought about buying this place 20 yrs ago but realized that we couldn't do it with three small children. More recently our daughter's boyfriend was the chef there (as he attended nursing school). The Triangle serves crepes of course and other traditional french foods in a charming small triangular space!
If we go east of the city to Chagrin Falls we have The Paris Room. I can't recommend this place as they actually make the food in one location and then reheat it at the resto. I love the ambiance - old building, exposed brick walls, gravel patio, but can't get over the reheating thing. I also didn't think the food was that tasty, but I 've only been once.
Third times a charm and this place is the best! Chez Francois in Vermilion. About 40 minutes west of the city is this three level/three dining rooms resto built on the Vermilion river with water views from the wrap around Cafe deck, interior dining in the more formal Paris Room and at street level the bar Touche. The service is wonderful, the food divine, the atmosphere terrific - we finally made it out there about a year ago and have been going fairly regularly since. Our first visit was the two of us and we sat at a small table waterside. Lobster bisque, french onion soup, cheeses, lobster and filet - we went nuts. Then we took the kids when M was in from California - they loved it. We took C when she was home from Baltimore and sat in the bar. Pretty much the same delicious menu (some exceptions) and great service.
A note on our gig yesterday: we played 70 minutes at a fine arts center on the East side, very nice venue with theater seating, big stage and pro lighting. The audience was so appreciative. One woman told me "you made my day" and I said "you just made mine". Another woman ran over to my car as I was exiting the parking lot "why didn't I know about you girls? that was wonderful!" etc. Just makes me feel good to make other people smile, laugh and maybe even dance.
Cheers.

No comments: