Saturday, May 11, 2019

My life

My life so far is pretty interesting. I wonder if most people feel that way?  Today it' s a quick biography of me.
I was born in PA. Mom a nurse, Dad an insurance bondsman. I was the first of what would be five daughters. Both parents were born and raised in Pennsylvania but by the time I was five we would be living in Maryland, just outside of Washington DC. My sister K was born one and a half years after me so we were always together. I attended Montgomery Knolls elementary school where I called my (African American) first grade teacher "mom". I am Caucasian btw. On Buckingham Street I was accidentally mauled by a german shepard (he was trying to pet me back, I think) in the face and fortunately didn't lose my right eye altho I did need many stitches. The scar remains on my right temple, but it's very faint. We moved in second grade, right in the middle of the year, to another, larger home because now we were adding more daughters to the fold. My second grade teacher had me sit in the front of the room and my classmates had to come up and read me something about me/say goodbye. I don't remember what anyone said but I remember the event.

Now we were in the Forest Knolls neighborhood, attending the elementary school there, thru third grade, after which we were sent to St Andrew the Apostle. A common theme is that I attended many schools in my life. In this neighborhood we learned to skateboard (Dad made me one!), swim - we were all on the swim team, ride bikes and play with lots of imagination. Always doing plays and make believe. Pretending to be Nancy Drew or models or the cast of Hogan's Heroes. Our biggest heroine? Honey West. I was Honey and K was Sam. We had a gang of neighborhood kids. I remember singing "Going to the Chapel" (among other songs) in Ann Pierce's basement - she had older brothers and lots of records!! Funny cause that's a much requested song in the PopTarts show now. We had all sorts of 45 records too, in our finished basement, but many of them were my Dad's favorites - "That old Bill Ballowmoon" (? not sure of the last name, but I can sing it for you) and "Drink Drink Drink" from The Student Prince. We had "Henry the 8th" and designed choreography to that number. I am now friends with Rich Spina who is in/tours with the current band Herman's Hermits with the original Peter Blair Dennis Bernard Noone.  Synchronicity. And a bit of foreshadowing.  One of my best friends was Judith Bankier who lived just a few houses away. Her parents were from Grenoble, France and visiting that house was the start of my life long Francophilia. I made baguettes, learned to call their dog by yelling "vien ici" and saw the formidable Celine instruct Judy in French - very rigorously; sleep sans pillow for her posture, swim elementary backstroke laps with her coral lips and pixie haircut looking so chic (and different from the other moms).

Well times up and I'm still in grade school.
A demain,
L

No comments: