Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Notre Dame is burning and I'm not

Well it's been awhile. I'm planning our trip to Paris*Amsterdam*Copenhagen which will be happening in 6 weeks and realizing that all I want from life is to wonder the first 6 arrondissments of Paris aimlessly and endlessly. Seriously, I watch youtubers wander those streets and wonder why NOT ME!?  So what is it. What is it that I really want?  I just heard BHL on NPR about the ND fire and he mentioned the 'spirituality' that comes from old, old things, such as the wood beams of the roof, now lost forever. 8, 9 centuries old - you had to be there dude there is no replacing that shit.
So is that ineffable, gorgeous net of spirituality what I love about Paris? Walking the streets and simply being is enough there. I started this blog to help remind myself that while I live here, in CLE, and it's not anything like Paris, perhaps mindful thinking could make it more like the experience of being in a world class spot.  I think I've failed and it's probably not my fault. So now what? I don't know but I'm going to blog daily and see what comes up.......

So today it's 59 degrees/cloudy here and 56/cloudy in Paris. Remember we're on the same longitude(ish) and both are divided by a river. 

Plans for our three days in Paris: vrbo rental in the 5th, near the famous Rue Mouffetard and close enough to our preferred area around St Michel, Ile de la Citie and Notre Dame (sadly looking at a map of the area when I heard about the flames breaking out!).  We'll fly in nonstop from Toronto.
After Paris, three days in Amsterdam. We take the train from Gard du Nord. I'll have to get our airb&b info from Jake on Amsterdam. Then we fly to Copenhagen to meet our friend for three days!
Back to Paris for the flight home. Rather a fast trip. We'll have two of our (adult) children with us as well. Nothing like packing for any travel to make you think about your style. Here's where you take it on the road!! And you have to carry it.
Later

No comments: